My Time in Lyon: final thoughts on a year abroad in France


Having had several weeks of reflection after exams I believe now is a good time to ponder on my time in Lyon, and the lessons I have learned along the way. I hope my experiences and previous blogs can help people who have queries around a year abroad.

Where do we start on my journey abroad? For me, the journey started several weeks before I left the UK. At this point, I was feeling unsure and uneasy about the move but also full of nervous excitement about the weeks to come.

When finally arriving in Lyon, I couldn’t help but see how beautiful the city was from the very first moment. From the stunning scenery of the airport and the surrounding suburban areas to the sprawling and bustling city centre.

I must admit my first few weeks as many who read my blog entries will know, was tough. After the first feelings of excitement and the joy of exploring my new environment had passed, I started to feel down. I am usually a person who can adapt quickly to new environments and take things on the chin to get where I need to go. However, this was different, and it took me several weeks of late-night phone calls home and time spent talking to friends at home. I won’t sugar coat that the feeling of loneliness was one of the worst I had ever faced and had me in a bad place mentally.

However bad I was feeling at the time, I knew that what I was doing was right for me and that the feeling would pass if I took positive steps in my new environment. This is where my new course and university friends came in. Once I was able to start my course and meet new people, I was able to come out of my shell and feel a lot better about myself and my environment.

One of the highlights of my year was the amazing number of friends I was able to make from all corners of the world and almost every continent. Having these friends allowed me to see things around me in new ways and truly appreciate the gift of living in a beautiful city like Lyon. Once I was settled myself and my friends made so many great memories from watching the local football team to sampling the local cuisine along the Rhone river. Having experiences with students from different cultures has helped me grow as a person and is one of the great positives that you will gain from a year abroad.

My first semester contained many ups and downs and towards Christmas, I can say with confidence I had learned many lessons not only about myself but the life around me too. I overcame homesickness and loneliness. I just want to say that when you are on your year abroad, and if you are feeling low or homesick, that it will get better and the feeling won’t last. The first few weeks passed, and my friends helped me to adjust and adapt to my new environment. Don’t be afraid to ask for help with friends you are all in the same boat and massively out of your comfort zones. Having a support bubble helped me and allowed me to help my friends with their feelings too.

Once these feelings passed, I can positively say that my year abroad was one of the most enriching experiences that I could have ever hoped for. Being able to travel across France and other countries is something I will hold dearly for many years to come. I now have friends that I will cherish and memories that will last in my memory for the foreseeable future. Experiencing another culture and learning to be an adaptable person is important for self-growth.

Sadly, my second semester was cut very short after a couple of weeks and this, for me, came at a time where I was flourishing in Lyon and making friends and experiences everywhere I went. Sadly, the end of my year in Lyon and the majority of second semester were not meant to be. However, I am sure that I would have even more memories that I would have been able to share with our amazing readers.

Now that I have set out my year’s overview I just want to give to tips and pointers to those looking for a year abroad placement or those hoping to attend a placement in the not too distant future. Firstly, a year abroad is something that will change your life and is something that I couldn’t recommend highly enough. After the initial culture shock, the experience is one that I will never forget. I would advise anyone that is in two minds to take the opportunity and run with it as far as it can take you, and in this case, it can be almost anywhere in the world.

Secondly, I would advise having a good understanding of the native language of the country you are staying in. This will help you settle in quicker and put you at ease when you arrive. Not knowing French was a costly decision that I had to work very hard to rectify once living in France. Using apps like Duolingo will help you understand the basics of the language you will be speaking and help with the settling in process.

Ultimately, I would say that my year abroad started off with a low point but got better and better the more effort and time I put into it. I finish my year feeling happy and motivated by my time abroad. I had lows but I had so many more highs, and ultimately to me, that’s what will be remembered. Making amazing memories with some amazing people in one of the most beautiful cities in Europe.

I hope you have enjoyed reading my year abroad blog and would love to hear what you think about my time abroad and the experiences I have had. We would also really like to hear about your own experiences with similar exchanges.

We have been The Almost Lawyers and until our next blog, we thank you for your continued support.

Comments

  1. how to answer a lawsuit for debt collection, I have read all the comments and suggestions posted by the visitors for this article are very fine,We will wait for your next article so only.Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks that you have put tremendous effort finding the facts. I really appreciate your research work. Hope to read more articles on your blog site. Keep it up dear. Find US Lawyers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am impressed. I don't think Ive met anyone who knows as much about this subject as you do. You are truly well informed and very intelligent. You wrote something that people could understand and made the subject intriguing for everyone. Really, great blog you have got here. Domestic Violence Attorney in Albuquerque

    ReplyDelete
  4. I recently came across your blog have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often. Domestic Violence Lawyer San Diego

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts