Let's Talk About Exams.


Let’s Talk About the Exam Period.
If there’s one thing that students know well is exams and the stressful few weeks before them. There are many lists out there of revision tips, stress-busting methods and other exam-based advice so we’ll spare you the task of reading through the same things again and again. And because we’re in the midst of exam period, this post is going to be short and sweet.
First of all, as a law student I don’t believe that exams are necessarily the best assessment method for legal knowledge, and they certainly don’t prepare you for a career in law. Barristers have their notes, solicitors have everything on hand, so there isn’t any need for a time constrained memory test. I know some people do exam very well, and I have a huge amount of respect for those people, but as you’ve probably guessed I am not one of them.
I genuinely believe that group projects have the same lack of merit as an assessment method. I have been in several groups in the past (and present) where I have been the only one who has done all the work (and I mean EVERYTHING), and not only does this mean that people are getting graded for someone else’s work; but if participation is being graded then you’re a bit screwed. The stress of arranging a group to get together when everyone has different time tables and personal commitments is impossible, and again I don’t believe it is reflective of real life legal practice, as at least when you work in teams for professional reasons, you’re all (hopefully) equally motivated.
The assessment method that I think (just personally!!!) is the better one, is coursework. I have many reasons for thinking this, first of all you can take it at your own pace; you can have all the materials on hand and therefore can be sure all of your information is correct and accurate; you can confer with colleagues as you would in real life, and learning something in-depth for an essay has (In my experience) meant that I have a much better recollection of it for longer in the future.
The final thing I will say is some unsolicited advice. If you’re stressed about exams or anything else for that matter and are able to, get some dogs into your life. Our university recently brought 6 guide dogs in for students to come and spend some time with, and it might be the best stress-reliever I’ve ever experienced. So much so, that the next day, two of us went to a nearby animal sanctuary and took a very excitable Lurcher puppy for a walk.
Even though exams are made to seem like the most important things you’ll do, make sure you’re looking after yourself in any way you can, and if that means spending your non-studying days surrounded by dogs, then so be it.
Good Luck if the exam season is upon you, let me know your opinions on assessment methods, and your favourite exam stress busting tips!
LC

Comments

Popular Posts