Our first uni year in review



Our first year at uni is officially over and we’ve both managed to survive with minimal injuries! Since we both have too much spare time now we’ve got another collaboration post for you! Although we go to the same uni and literally live next door to one another, we have very different first year experiences, so read on if you wanna see how it matches up to yours, or if you’re about to start your own first year!

LC: I started my first year a few months out of hospital following some fairly major surgery, so I had that to consider on top of all the classic worries such as making sure I had a ground/lower floor flat; that I’d be able to get to all my classes and how to manage my pain when away from the comfort of my own home. I moved into the ‘classic student halls’ that are renowned on our campus as being a bit rowdy, thinking that it can’t be that bad, and that at least I’d never be lonely! I was right, it was a lot of fun and I lived with nine really lovely people who made my first few months at uni absolutely unforgettable! However, in November my health got the better of me and I had to move a lot closer to uni as the walk to and from my first flat started to get too much for me. In the end, this move turned out to the best decision I ever made, I became healthier, less stressed and managed to heal 100% from my surgery and I met the best friends I could ever imagine, who I will be friends with for the rest of my life.

In terms of work, first semester was great, it was basically a repeat of A Levels so I felt very confident, and managed to stay on top of everything as if it was just revision, and came out a few marks shy of a 1st which I am very proud of! Second semester was a completely different story as my health once again took a negative turn, and I have had to postpone my exams until August. While I still very much enjoy the content of the course and I am absolutely sure that law is what I want to do, I did find it very hard to keep up in the second semester. Whether this is down to my own complacency from the ease of first semester, or because the work was genuinely harder I can’t decide.

Things I’ve learned:
  • If you’re struggling, ask for help. Be this with work or personal issues, there is someone who is available to help you. My personal tutor was brilliant when I went to him with any concerns and I would definitely be repeating first year if it wasn’t for his great advice.
  • The friends you’re super close to in the first month won’t be your friends forever. This sounds a bit harsh but I barely see or speak to ANYONE that I knew at the beginning of freshers, and my closest friends I met in January or even later in the second semester! Be open to meeting new people and don’t cement yourself to the first people you come across!
  • WORK HARD. I know in most instances first year doesn’t count, but if you put in the work it WILL pay off.


WH: moving away to university was a new and scary adventure for me after exams at A-levels I received my results and did better than I thought I had. This led me to feel an extra bit nervous when moving to university. However, once I had moved in I realised that the nervousness was not necessary as I moved into a stereotypical uni halls with 4 other great flatmates who over the year have become very close friends. This helped me settle in during the first weeks in a new city halfway across the country. As the year progressed uni felt more like home and it became more of a natural environment from day to day.

When considering workload, the first semester was very similar to the topics we had covered at A-level as stated above. This gave me a sense of confidence that I didn't feel I would have immediately going into university that allowed me to balance moving to a new city, coursework as well as all of the other issues that university can throw up. Exams came quickly and lots of revision was required to assure I passed the first semester, which I did thankfully.

However, the first semester could be seen as a settling in period, the second semester was definitely a different kettle of fish. The second semester consisted of new areas of the law that I had very little knowledge and experience in. this made the semester tough and many hours in the library where required to understand the raw material and further my knowledge in these areas. However hard this semester was I managed to get through it and come out the other side confident in the work I have produced.

Things i have learned:

Don't be afraid of change just because university is not what your used too doesn't mean that its a bad thing embrace it and see where the adventure takes you.

Don't be worried if you don't know everybody who is on your course. University courses are so large it would be a mammoth task to get to know everybody within a year. However it is important to make friends on your course who can help you out in the future.

Finally, no matter what you choose to do or where you choose to do it, enjoy what you do. Uni passes by very quickly so its essential that not only to work hard but to have fun and make memories.

Comments

Popular Posts