The Helsinki Diaries .1

The Helsinki Diaries .1

Hi!On Sunday I moved from a tiny village in Somerset, England to the middle of Helsinki, the capital of
Finland. I have come here on my year abroad and will be living in a studio apartment by myself until
May! The purpose of this series is to give you an insight as to what life abroad is like, if you’re
considering it, to get you hyped up if you are already planning to  go, or to just keep you up to date
with what living in Finland is like and how it’s different from being at home! 


As I mentioned, I’m living in a studio and so far I really like it, it’s nice to have my own space and not
have to worry about flatmates and the potential issues that may arise with them! I thought it might be
lonely living completely alone, but luckily some of the people from my tutor group live a few floors
above me, so there’s always someone around! 


We haven’t started our classes yet, as it’s administration/orientation/fresher’s week, but we have had a
few speeches and lectures from various members of staff which have been super interesting! Our
tutor group consists of 11 of us from all over Europe and Asia, and 2 Finnish students who are tutoring
us/ showing us the ropes early on! Everyone is really lovely, and our tutors are so helpful and we
haven’t found a question they can’t answer! 


As far as fresher’s activities have gone, I am gonna say, controversially, it’s better than in the UK! We
were invited to the home of one of the other tutors for a small party before going to the Law
Association’s welcome party which was a unique experience to say the least! Imagine a careers fair,
with shots of different Finnish concoctions, and events at each table! 


One of our tutor group had her birthday on Wednesday,, and so we decided to go out for dinner and
ended up (responsibly) in a place simply labelled “Shot bar” where we spent the evening (responsibly)
spinning a wheel to decide who had to drink what (responsibly)! 


Friday we had a speech about law and justice with some of the staff from the law faculty, then
navigated the beautiful Unicafe (2Euro for a whole meal?? Yes Please) by ourselves for the first time
and attended a football game between the Law Society and the Swedish Speaking Law Students
Association (4-0 to The Law Society)! The evening was spent having a party at my apartment block,
then we went to a nightclub that was on the top of a shopping centre for a welcome party held by the
European Student Network(see the picture above)! It has been fun to have another Freshers week,
something I definitely didn’t expect when I decided to come on my year abroad but it’s given me a
chance to bond with and get to know my tutor group as we do pretty much everything together at the
moment! Apart from going to a few touristy areas, we have mainly been sorting out the admin for our
courses and our residency in Helsinki but tomorrow we are going on a trip to Suomenlinna, the Sea
Fortress just off the coast! 


Hopefully my next update, two weeks from now will contain a bit more law related content, but we are
pretty flexible here at The Almost Lawyers so we hope to keep this series quite casual and light
hearted! As usual, any feedback, comments or thoughts are welcomed on twitter @almostlawyers or
by email thealmostlawyers@gmail.com 


I am looking forward to sharing more about my time abroad with you all!
Kiitos ~ Lauren


Photos (top - bottom): 


An orange patch saying “Keep calm I’m almost a lawyer” found at the Pykala welcome party


Hundreds of locks attached to a bridge near the harbour


The night view from the window of Maxine, a nightclub on the 6th floor of Kamppi shopping centre, the Chapel of Silence can be seen as well as lights from the city

Latte art in my coffee from Cafe Artisan near the University of Helsinki 


Disclaimer: I apologise for the terrible formatting of this post, we are having a few issues with our hosting site, keep your
eyes peeled for some changes!

Comments

Popular Posts