My Time in Lyon: my first thoughts

I have arrived in Lyon and current at the time of writing have been here for 3 days. the flight over was very pleasant and I took many sites in such as the Eiffel tower, stade de France as well as the snow-covered alps. The first thing that hit me was the climate I was very surprised that it was very similar to what I have been used to in the UK. before I arrived, I really struggled grasped the size of this city. Not realising that Lyon was so big it really has taken my breath away not only in its size but also its beauty. This city is one of the most beautiful I have ever visited located in the Rhone valley area of France. The city has 3 major parts/areas too it separated by two rivers running to the east of the city. 

However beautiful this city is I have found it very difficult in the first few days to settle down and start to live in this city. I have felt very homesick which for such a change in my life is a very normal thing to feel, this is the biggest change I have ever made in my life and certainly more difficult than my original move to university in the UK. The one message I want to give to people who are in the same position as myself or maybe in the same position in future is that its ok not to be ok. Moving to a brand-new country on your own with limited language skills can make the task seem unachievable. However, the days will get easier as you go and before you know it you will make friends and you will start to fit in for sure.

Even though I have felt this I have travelled and explored the city and I really cannot wait to get back out there and see what else this beautiful city has to offer from its historic cathedral to the beautiful views of the city that can be seen from the Basilica of Our Lady. Lyon, I have found is a city of culture and you are never far away from restaurants or pubs that will blow your socks off.

On my first night here, I was privileged enough to take part and witness celebrations of Lyons liberation day, processions of American cars and jeeps made their way through the streets of Lyon giving out flags and sweets as the American army did on September 3rd, 1944 during the second world war. This was a very poignant moment to watch especially being from the UK where we have a very strong tie to both the first and second world wars and the eventual liberation of France.

The university is located around 10-15 minutes from my accommodation and can be easily accessed via underground metro lines. The underground metro is a feat that has to be seen to be believed with fast-paced trains usually every couple of minutes. In my time here so far, I have carried out a French test which I must admit I didn’t do the best in but am working on that. And have been through an 8-hour intensive course on French civilization, allowing me to understand local traditions and the daily ongoing in Lyon and France in general.

My accommodation is very similar to that back in my first year of university and brings it home and makes me feel like a first year once again which is positive and negative. I am slowly getting to know where everything is and how to get what I need whilst I’m here. All though I am feeling home-sick and missing the UK, I know and appreciate that this opportunity is rare for people and that I am going to have such a good time whilst studying here and learning the French way of living and can't wait to get started with my lectures over the next couple of weeks which you will hear about in the next instalment of my Lyon diaries in 2 weeks time.

I am very impressed with Lyon and what I have seen of it so far and I really can’t wait to see more of this city over the coming days. I hope in two weeks when I bring you my next blog I will have started my law course and can bring you more information on that and I would like to thank you for following me on this journey and I hope my experiences over the next 9 months can really help you when studying abroad or just living or travelling abroad in general.
 The view from the basilica over looking the Rhone valley and Lyon



The basilicas entrance on a lovely evening 

A view of the alps from my aeroplane window on our landing in Lyon


Comments

Popular Posts