My Erasmus Experience

When I was considering doing an Erasmus Exchange, it took a lot of convincing by my friends to get me to agree to it. When I got the confirmation that I would be moving to Finland I was equal parts terrified and excited. When it was a week until I was due to leave, I remember crying to my mum on the sofa saying that I didn't think I could do it. When I arrived in Finland I knew that I had done the right thing.

I arrived on the 25th August 2019, I was put into a tutor group with a bunch of other exchange students, we went out a lot in the first week, another Fresher's, almost. We got to know each other in a way that I haven't experienced with my friends back at home, that's not to say I don't love them, but Erasmus friends are just different. I knew that these weren't just friends, they were my new family, when I was with them I felt like I was at home, I felt supported, I felt loved, and this only got better as the friendship circle grew.


We went to classes together, we went on trips together, we had so many parties I'm surprised my apartment is in as good a condition as it is! Apart from the social side, I loved Helsinki, it's a beautiful city with so many hidden gems, such as the underground swimming pool in Itรคkeskus, Suomenlina Island, Noodle Story in Kallio and so many more. I felt like I had really found my place with my people, and I was so happy that I had decided to go outside of my comfort zone for once.

Then we lost one of our best friends. He unfortunately passed away aged 22 whilst he was here with us, the week that followed was an absolute blur of tragedy and none of us knew what to do. I remember sitting with everyone in one room, thinking that we would never get through this. We met his wonderful family, we spent a lot of time with them showing them around the city that Jack had loved so much, and we threw him the memorial he deserved, his favourite pub was packed to the brim with people who wanted to celebrate his incredible life. This week was the worst week, but the way that we pulled together and got each other through it is something I will never, ever forget.



At Christmas, I had to say goodbye to a lot of my international family, but I knew that it wasn't the end, I spent new year in Belgium with my amazing best friends, which I wouldn't have been able to do without going on Erasmus, I made plans to go back to see them again, but unfortunately that wasn't meant to be.

Coronavirus then rolled around, hell bent on ruining what was left of the exchange, my trip to Belgium was cancelled, everyone is now leaving, and what started off so incredible, has turned into a stressful, uncertain nightmare. It felt like November was the worst time, but March is definitely a contender. The fact that Erasmus is ending this way is something that I will have a difficult time finding peace with, when I think back to how I felt on my birthday, having the best time, surrounded by so many amazing people; compared to now, self-isolating in my apartment, but watching people still continue to party, and gather in groups and put themselves and countless others in danger, it does make me angry. We don't know what is going on in our home countries, everyone's flights are getting cancelled, and everything is a mess.


Despite the heartbreak, the tragedy, the confusion, the stress, the not knowing and the loneliness I have no regrets. I stepped so far outside of my comfort zone, that I don't even recognise the girl I left at Gatwick Airport all those months ago. I know that I can get through whatever life throws at me, I know that when times get tough I can become the 'Squadmother' and help everyone else through it too. To my one of a kind Erasmus Family, thank you for making me who I am, I love you all so much, you have changed my life for the better and I can never thank you enough. I wouldn't change this incredible, beautiful, heartbreaking, life-changing experience for anything, because of you guys.






This post, along with all of my future posts is dedicated to my wonderful friend, Jack. 22.6.1997 - 15.11.2019 - I hope you're resting easy buddy, thank you for everything <3

Comments

  1. This blog has turned me into a follower. I’m very impressed by your work and I’m adding you to my list of favorites. Top Legal Firm.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts